Castleknock is a suburb on the North/West side of Dublin City in Ireland. Located just inside Dublin city’s M50 ring road, bordered to the west by the village of Blanchardstown, to the east by the Phoenix Park, to the north by the old townland of Dunsink, to the South by Chapelizod and to the South/West by Lucan
Castleknock (Caisleán Cnucha in Irish meaning “Castle of the Hill” or “Cnucha’s Castle” is a suburb and a suburban village in North/west County Dublin. It is located 8 km west of the centre of Dublin, Ireland. In the Postal area know as Dublin 15
Castleknock, a parish in the barony of Castleknock, County Dublin and province of Leinster, 3¾ miles (N. W) from Dublin city centre, containing 4251 inhabitants, of which number, 188 are in the village.
Tradition says that this was a royal residence of the Danes, and that, in 1167, Roderick O’Connor encamped here with his Connaught forces, when he led a numerous army to Dublin, where he was solemnly inaugurated King of Ireland, and engaged the Danish residents in his pay. The castle was given by Earl Strongbow to his friend, Hugh de Tyrrell, who was styled Baron of Castleknock. It was taken by Edward Bruce in 1316, and Hugh de Tyrrell and his lady made prisoners, but released on the payment of a large ransom. In June, 1642, time castle was taken for the parliament by Col. Monk, afterwards Duke of Albemarle, who slew in the assault 80 of its defenders, and subsequently hanged many more; but in November, 1641, Owen Roe O’Nial, and Sir Thomas Esmonde, Bart., at the head of a royalist force, retook it. The Marquess of Ormonde encamped here in 1649, when he threatened to besiege Dublin; and after the Restoration it fell into decay.
The parish is situated on the road from Dublin to Navan, and is intersected by the Royal Canal: it contains 6621 statute acres, the whole of which is arable land. Here are extensive limestone quarries, in which fossil remains are frequently found. On the river Liffey are three woollen mills, where friezes, jerseys, lambskins, and Petershams, are manufactured; they have been established nearly a century, and employ above 60 persons during the winter. A factory for worsted and worsted yarn has been recently established at Blanchardstown, which employs between 80 and 100 persons; there are also on the Liffey mustard and two flour-mills, and at Cardiff-Bridge is a small iron-foundry. The parish is within the Dublin two penny post delivery. Petty sessions are held every alternate Monday at Blanchardstown, where there is a constabulary police station.
The scenery on the banks of the Liffey, towards Lucan, is very beautiful and northern side of the valley is celebrated for strawberries. In addition to the vice-regal lodge, and the chief and under secretaries residences, the parish contains many seats commanding delightful views : the principal seats are Sheep-hill, the residence of J. H. Hamilton, Esq., situated in a demesne of 500 acres ; Farmley, of Charles Trench, Esq. ; Knockmaroon, of Col. Colby ; Park View, of A. Ferrier, Esq. ; Mountsackville, of. J. Hawkins, Esq. ; Diswellstown, of C. O’Keeffe, Esq. ; Airfield, of R. Manders, Esq. ; Hybla, of the Rev. G. O’Connor ; Scripplestown, of W. Rathborne, Esq. ; Dunsinea, of H. Rathborne, Esq, ; Scribblestown, of A. Holmes, Esq. ; Ashtown, of J. Dunne, Esq. ; Elm Green, of F. Dwyer, Esq. ; Oatlands, of J. Godley, Esq. ; Haymount, of Dr. Marsh ; Bellville, of J. Murphy, Esq. ; Ashfield, of W. Oldham, Esq. ; Cabra, of J. Plunkett, Esq. ; and Huntstown, of O’Coghlan, Esq.
Divided into the northern an southern portions, each of which is subdivided into smaller parts : the prebendal or northern part furnishes an endowment for the two prebends of Mullahidart, or “Castrum Knoc ex parte decani,” and Castleknock, or “Castrum Knoc ex parte precentoris,” in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Dublin. In 1219, the great tithes were appropriated by Archbishop Henry to the priory of Malvern, in Worcestershire, on condition that they should add five monks to their number ; and in 1225 the prior and monks granted to the uses of the economy fund of St. Patrick’s cathedral a moiety of the tithes of the manor of Castleknock, renouncing to the arch-bishop all right to the vicarage and its small tithes and oblations. During the prelacy of Archbishop Luke, a new division of the tithes was made, by which, of the four parts into which they were divided, one was assigned to the prebendary of Mullahidart, one to the prebendary of Castleknock, one to the economy estate of St. Patrick’s cathedral, and one to the priory of Malvern, which transferred its interest to the abbot and convent of St. Mary, near Dublin, in 1468. This last portion having become impropriate on the dissolution of the religious houses, and forfeited by the rebellion of the impropriator, was granted as an augmentation of the vicar’s means: and this division of the tithes still exists.
The living is consequently a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, endowed with a portion of the great tithes, and united to the prebend of Castleknock and the rectory of Clonsillagh and curacy of Mullahidart, with cure of souls : it is to the patron age of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £560, of which £220 is payable to the economy estate, £140 to the prebendary of Mullahidart, and even to the prebendary of Castleknock. There are two churches in the vicarial union, one at Castleknock, the other at Clonsillagh; the former was rebuilt by a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits, and large subscriptions, in 1810, replacing one that had been built, in l609, on the site of an Augustinian abbey for Canons Regular, founded in the 13th century by Richard Tyrrell, and dedicated to St. Bridget. There is a glebe-house ; and the glebe, in two parcels, comprises 19. 1r. 5p., besides 8 acres which have been taken into the Phoenix Park, and for which, and also for the tithes of the park, the vicar receives £50. 15s., per ann. late currency, from Government.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Castleknock, Chapelizod, Clonsillogh, Cloghranhidart, and Mullahidart ; and containing three chapels, one at Blanchardstown, one at Porterstown (in Clonsillagh), and one at Chapelizod.
At Cabra is a nunnery of the order of St. Dominick : the society removed hither from Clontarf about 1820, and consists of a chaplain, prioress, and nuns, besides lay-sisters; it is a respectable ladies’ school, and the sisterhood also instruct from 150 to 200 poor children, who are partly clothed. The nunnery is surrounded with grounds tastefully laid out, and has a neat chapel and dwelling-house for the chaplain. There is another nunnery at Blanchardstown, in which more than 200 poor children are taught. In addition to the parochial school, there are two by the side of the canal, one for boys, maintained by a bequest from the late Mr. Morgan, and the other supported out of the produce of lands devised by a lady named Mercer, and yielding a rent of more than £750 per ann., vested in trustees, by whom 50 girls are maintained, clothed and educated. A school for boys and girls at Abbotstown is supported solely by J. H. Hamilton, Esq, of Sheep-hill, by whom the children are also part clothed ; at Blanchardstown is a national school for both a sexes ; and a free school was built by Luke White, Esq. The late Mr. Tisdal bequeathed a large sum to the parochial schools, which is to be paid after his widow’s death. The remains of the ancient fortress of Castleknock occupy the summit of a lofty hill. In Knockbrush Hill, which is situated near the Ashbourne road are occasionally found bones of men and horses, military weapons, an coins. Part of this hill is evidently artificial, and tradition says that it was raised over those who fell on this spot, in 1014, in the widely extended battle of Clontarf. Ancient horse-shoes, spurs, and other relics have been dug up. at Scripplestown. At Abbotstown are some remains of the abbey and there is also a well dedicated to St. Bridget.
Where homes are located in the Castleknock area:
Starting at the Castleknock Gates of the Phoenix Park
Left at the Gates: Chesterfield, PhoenixPark Racecourse, Castleknock Gate, Park View,
From the PhoenixPark to the Village:
Oakview, Georgian Village, Deerpark, Oaklodge, Auburn Ave, Stockton, Castleknock Park, Pines, Phoenix, Hadleigh, Pecks Lane,
From the Village to the Canal at Blanchardstown:
Oaklawn, Beechpark, Park Ave, Clovers, Park Drive, Hawthorn lodge, Laurel Lodge……..and onwards to Roselawn and Brompton
Laurel lodge leads into:
Parklands, Maple, Bramley, Oaktree, Cherry, Sycamore, Laverna.
From the Village to CastleknockCollege:
Castleknock Lodge, College Grove, Collegewood, Collegefort, Farmleigh.
Right at the lights at the College leads to Carpenterstown:
Mulberry, College Gate, Woodberry, Burnell, Luttrellstown, Annfield, Woodbrook, Farleigh, Riverwood, Warren, Luttrellpark.
ONE OF THE OLDEST BANDS IN THE COUNTRY:
Blanchardstown Brass Band originally known as St. Brigids Brass & Reed Band was established in 1826, and has been performing Brass Band music now for over 175 years. The name was changed in 1970 to reflect the All-Brass line-up and also to give the Band a better identity. We have our own Band room adjacent to the church car park in Blanchardstown village and rehearse there on Thursdays and Sundays. As you might have guessed none of the original members are around today, however three of our senior members each have over 50 years service with the band and their dedication is a great example to the other members. They are: Eugene Tully, Eb Bass; Joe McGregor formally Cornet & now Baritone and Michael Harford formally Cornet & Baritone and now Conductor. In all we have 25 playing members and 8 juniors in training.
Over the last 175 years the Band has given a good many of the youth in the locality an introduction to music and an appreciation of a wide range of music, something that is still sadly not available through our education system. Many of them have gone on to be professional musicians and the Band still plays a very important educational role in the community, most of our younger members now take music as a subject in their Leaving Cert. We supply all our members with an instrument and uniform and all we ask is that they supply the enthusiasm.
Rathbornes Candles are the oldest surviving candle manufacturers in the world. They were founded in 1488 and moved to Scribblestown off the River Road in Castleknock Dublin in Ireland. In 1616 the Candlelight Law decreed that every fifth home should display a light for passers-by. Later in the seventeenth century, Rathbornes Candles were contracted to supply street lighting in Dublin. In 2004 they moved from premises in East Wall Road, Dublin, since 1925 to their current premises located in RosemountBusinessPark, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. They do a range of candles varying from paraffin wax to luxurious pure beeswax. The Rathborne family are long associated with various areas in Dublin 15 including Dunsinea, Ashtown and Scribblestown although other historical locations for the business in Dublin are documented. Rathborne candles also have a division known as Lalor Church Candles for candle supplies and other ecclesiastical products. Rathbornes acquired Lalor Ltd. in 1966.
The name has returned to the area with a large residential development nearby being named after the family
Click on the word Castleknock for a map of the area
Castleknock College: a secondary school for boys
Castleknock Community College:a mixed gender School in nearby Carpenterstown
Mount Sackville: an all girls school, within walking distance of the Village
St Bridgets; on the Main Rd in the Village, Church of Ireland denomination
St Bridgets National School, Catholic denomination
Educate Together; on Beechpark Ave, this is a non denominational school
Scoil Thomais; in Laurel Lodge, Catholic denomination
Power Dr Liam
Castleknock, Dublin 15
Parks Medical ctr, Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Dublin 15
Sooben Dr K
244 Delwood grove, Castleknock, Dublin 15
Stewart Dr Gabriel
29 Hawthorn lodge, Castleknock, Dublin 15
Castle Court Medical Centre
Castlecourt Medical Centre, Dublin 15
Ward Dr Aidan
23 Castleknock ave, Dublin 15
Nelson W Robert MB MRCGP
2 Beechpark ave Castleknock, Dublin 15
McCormack Dr Orla
Parks Medical ctr Carpenterstown, Dublin 15
Mc Loughlin Dr. Ronan
8205586 Kahlout Dr Hazem
62 Maple dr, Castleknock, Dublin 15
Albayyari Dr Hassan
62 Maple Drive, Castleknock, Dublin 15
O’Brien Dr John
1 Auburn dr, Castleknock, Dublin 15
Lidl Shopping Centre and Phoenix Park Racecourse Development
Ashleigh Centre, Main Street Castleknock Dublin 15
Castleknock Village, Castleknock Dublin 15
Farmleigh, Phoenix Park Castleknock
The Brasserie (Castleknock Hotel)
Castleknock Hotel Porterstown Road Castleknock Dublin 15
Ashleigh Centre, Main Street, Castleknock Dublin 15
Carpenterstown Road Castleknock Dublin 15
Castleknock Village Centre, Castleknock Dublin 15
Castleknock Hotel, Porterstown Road Castleknock Dublin 15
Castleknock Marina, The Royal Canal, Castleknock Dublin 15
Old Navan Road Castleknock Dublin 15
and if you really want something special , Hire the castle !!!!
Luttrellstown Castle, Luttrellstown Castleknock Dublin 15
Is the largest enclosed urban public park in Europe located 3 km to the north west of Dublin city centre in Ireland. It measures 712 hectares (1,760 acres), with a walled circumference of 16 km that contains large areas of grassland and tree-lined avenues. The park is home to a herd of wild Fallow deer since the seventeenth century. The name is a corruption of the Irish fionn uisce meaning “clear water”. Unusually for North Dublin, the park has an even-numbered area code (Dublin 8/D8). All other areas of northside Dublin (except for the adjacent Chapelizod) have odd numbered area codes, and even numbers if on the southside of Dublin.
After the Normans conquered Dublin and its hinterland in the 12th century Hugh Tyrell, 1st Baron of Castleknock, granted a large area of land, including what now comprises the Phoenix Park, to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. They established an abbey at Kilmainham on the site now occupied by Royal Hospital Kilmainham. The knights lost their lands when Henry VIII confiscated monastic properties in 1537 and eighty years later the lands once more reverted to the ownership of the King’s representatives in Ireland. On the restoration of Charles II, his Viceroy in Dublin, Lord Ormonde established a Royal Hunting Park which contained pheasants and wild deer, therefore it was necessary to enclose the entire area with a wall. It was opened to the people of Dublin by Lord Chesterfield in 1745.
One of the Dublin’s main attractions Dublin Zoo, which houses more than 700 animals and tropical birds from around the world is located in the park. It was founded in 1830 making it the fourth oldest zoo in the world.
The Papal Cross was erected for the visit of Pope John Paul II in September 1979. Over one million people attended an open air mass in the park at the time.
The Wellington Monument (also known as the Wellington Testimonial) is a 63 metres (210 ft) tall obelisk commemorating the victories of Duke of Wellington.It would have been even higher if the publicly subscribed funding had not run out. The phoenix monument is a Corinthian column with a Phoenix bird rising from the ashes at its pinnacle. It was erected by Lord Chesterfield in 1747.
The Phoenix Park Visitor Centre and Ashtown Castle
The oldest building in the park is Ashtown Castle, a restored medieval tower house dating from the 15th century. Restoration began in 1989 and it is located beside the Visitor Centre which houses interpretive displays on the 5,500 years of park and area history.
Other places of interest
The National Ambulance Service College is located at Saint Mary’s Hospital on the Chapelizod side of the park. The State Guest House, Farmleigh, adjoins the park to the north-west. The south western corner of the park is known as the Furry Glen and has a series of short walks centred around a small lake with birds, plants and wildlife. The park is featured prominently in James Joyce’s novel, Finnegans Wake, and tangentially in Ulysses. It is occasionally used for open-air concerts and the annual Phoenix Park Motor Races.
Motor racing, a piece of Motoring – History at the Park
Motor racing first took place in the Phoenix Park in 1903 when the Irish Gordon Bennett Race Speed Trials were held on the main straight for both cars and motorcycles. This was followed in 1929 by the Irish International Grand Prix; the first of three Irish motor racing grands prix. Racing took place between 1932 until the beginning of World War II in 1939 and was revived again in 1949 with a sprint on the Oldtown circuit followed the next year by a full racing meeting again and has been used virtually continuously until today. Over the years seven different circuits have been used, two of which are named after the famous FerrariWorld Champion racing driverMike Hawthorn.
The nearby Phoenix Park hosts a range of other sports such as Motor Sports, Cycling, Cricket, Polo and many many others
|Bambinos Creche & Mont.||21 Warren Avenue, Castleknock||Sharon Byrne||8200488|
|Castleknock Montessori School||Castleknock Centre, Castleknock||Anita Kearney||8201014|
|Castleknock Montessori||1 Stockton, Castleknock||Marcella O’Grady||8217154|
|Castleknock Day Nursery||Catherine Hinkson||8201369|
|Castleknock Montessori Academy||2 Castleknock Close, Castleknock||Eileen Connolly||8210998|
|Chrysalis Montessori||Beechpark Lawn, Casstleknock||Teresa Horan||8220358|
|Fidelma’s Montessori||19 Stockton Drive, Castleknock||Fidelma Egan||8201993|
|Fitzsimons Vera||86 Pecks Lane||Vera Fitzsimons||8217513|
|Ladybird Playgroup||19 Oaktree Grove, Castleknock||Rosemary Moffit||8215048|
|Luttrellstown House||Carpenterstown Road||Phil Kelly||8204497|
|Lollipops||1 Luttrell Park View, Castleknock||Jackie Walsh||8208568|
|Montessori Class||12 Phoenix Place, Castleknock||John Johnson||8204796|
|Rockfield Montessori||15 Rockfield Drive, Castleknock||Ena Lynskey||8213734|
|Marcella O’Grady||1,Stockton, Castleknock||Marcella O’Grady||8217154|
|The Park Drive Day Nursery||82 Park Drive Green Castleknock||Mary Grant||8204254|